From Dr. Jim Causby, Interim Superintendent CHCCS;
“Regarding athletics, we now have a plan in place to begin three high school sports: volleyball, field hockey and cross country. We will begin a phased-in approach for voluntary skill development sessions that will lead to try-outs to follow the NCHSAA calendar.”
Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools
High School Athletics Restart Plan 2020-2021
CHCCS is set to begin a phased-in approach for voluntary skill development sessions that will lead to try-outs to follow the NCHSAA calendar (see attached) .
- The phased-in, two-week re-entry plan begins with volleyball, cross country and field hockey.
- Start October 19, 2020.
- Each workout will last no longer than 90 minutes.
- The School Athletic Director will approve all coaches practice plans.
- The District Athletic Director will oversee all plans.
- CHCCS will always follow All requirements including CHCCS, Orange County as well as the state of NC.
October 19 – M, W, F
October 26 – all five days
November 2 – workouts
November 3 – Off (elections)
November 4 – 6 TRY-OUTS
(see calendar below for other sports)
Before workouts resume, athletes and parents must take care of the following items before participation in any skill development session will be allowed.
Before arriving to Skill Development:
- Complete your Online Athletic Participation Registration at your school. (documents include, Physical, Concussion form, Covid-19 form, CHCCS Consent, NCHSAA Consent).
- Make sure you have a valid Physical Examination on file. If your last physical was on or after March 1st of 2019, then your physical will be valid through this coming school year.
- Complete the NCHSAA Initial Screening Questions for Students to Participate in Athletic Activity During COVID-19 Form. Must be signed by both athlete and parent.
These forms will be available on your school’s athletic website.
- Secure a Mask/Face Covering. Mask MUST be worn at ALL times even in competition.
- Secure a water bottle with your name on it to bring to the workouts. (ADs will have extras as well as schools providing bottled water for away games)
- Appropriate clothing (dress for weather)
- Please use your home bathroom facilities before coming to school
What else will take place at “Check In” for you to have a successful “Check In”?
- Get your temperature checked. (Must be under 100.4 degrees). This will be taken by the athletic trainer (AT) at each school. (Each school will handle check in a little different so please check coaches email/school website before coming to school)
- Example https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScySCdV9EpfZvO21y7wlsjBxgSiF-8HIr2S33RgX2la3uffHQ/viewform?vc=0&c=0&w=1&flr=0&gxids=7628
- You will then be assigned a workout group and pod that you will stay with each day. This will be in groups of six to eight athletes. (numbers depend on sport)
- Once checked in, you will get a squirt of hand sanitizer and then move to a “waiting area” in which you will maintain social distancing.
- Additional Information will be posted on your school’s athletic web page regarding specific workout times and what time you need to arrive for “Check In”
What will take place at workouts?
- You will work out with a group of 50 or less in an outside group OR 25 or less in an inside group. (these numbers may change, per Orange County/Governor’s Office)
- These groups will be broken down into smaller “PODS” in which the athlete will stay with each day.
- Workouts will last for a maximum of 90 minutes.
- Workouts will only take place three times a week for the first week.
- Conditioning and Acclimatization will be the main focus for week one.
- The Athletic Trainer will be available during athletic events for emergency situations. Please make an appointment for any treatments needed before or after practice/games.
- ALL equipment will be sanitized after each practice as well as during practice for some sports.
- Social Distancing Guidelines must be in effect the whole time… 6 feet or more.
- You WILL have to wear a mask/face covering while actively participating in conditioning activities, one must be worn at ALL times while on campus, NO EXCEPTIONS!
- Social Distancing should occur while leaving the practice area. Coaches will dismiss athletes by pods to ensure social distancing.
- Get a squirt of hand sanitizer when leaving the practice area.
- You will need to leave campus immediately upon the completion of your workout.
- Please have your ride there on time.
- We are highly discouraging carpooling to and from workouts.
- We encourage you to immediately take a shower once you get home and to wash your workout clothes.
- Restrooms will be available in emergency situations only as they will need to be cleaned after each use.
- There will be NO access to the Weight Room.
- NO access to Locker Rooms or Field Houses
- Will NOT be able to use Water Fountains.
- “NO TOUCHING” of teammates or coaches at any time. (No fist bumps, no high fives, no shaking hands, no hugging).
- NO Spitting
NO Spectators will be allowed outside of their cars.
|CHCCS ATHLETICS PLAN – IF IN REMOTE or HYBRID ONLY|
|Sports||Preseason Start – Conditioning (3 days M, W, F)||Skill Development
5 day plan
|Tryouts||1st Contest||Playoff Dates / 1st r|
|Cross Country||10/19||10/26||11/4 – 11/6||11 / 16||Jan 16th|
|Volleyball||10/19||10/26||11/4 – 11/6||11 / 16||Jan 12th|
|Field Hockey||10/19||10/26||11/4 – 11/6||11 / 10||Week of Dec. 14th|
|Swimming and Diving||11/9||11/16||11/30- 12 / 2||12 / 7||Feb. 4th|
|Basketball||11/16||11/30||12 / 7- 12 / 9||1 / 4||Feb. 23rd|
|Soccer (M)||12/14||1/ 4||1 / 11 – 1 / 13||1 / 25||March 16th|
|Lacrosse (M & W)||12/14||1 /4||1 / 11 – 1 / 13||1 / 25||March 15th|
|2/8 – 1st official practice||2 / 26||April 16th|
|Golf (M & W)||2/15||2/22||3 / 1 – 3 / 3||3 / 15||May 3|
|Tennis (M)||2/15||2/22||3 / 1 – 3 / 3||3 / 15||April 30th|
|Soccer (W)||2/15||2/22||3 / 1 – 3 / 3||3 / 15||May 3rd|
|Softball||2/15||2/22||3 / 1 – 3 / 3||3 / 15||May 3rd|
|Baseball||3/15||3/22||4 / 12 – 4 / 14||4 / 26||June 15th|
|Tennis (W)||3/15||3/22||4 / 12 – 4 / 14||4 / 26||June 18th|
|Track & Field||3/15||3/22||4 / 12 – 4 / 14||4/ 26||June 18th|
|Wrestling||3 / 15||3/22||4 / 12 – 4 / 14||4/26||June 18th|
(previously posted on Friday 10.02.2020)
A multitude of details will be made available on Monday 10.05.2020